I love Christmas….I love it. For this blog I’m just going to list few of my favorite Christmas movies of all time. I would love to hear some suggestions for anyone with their own favorites. I did this last year but I have some new movies I want to add to the list.
Mike Melville’s Top 10 Christmas movies
- Charlie Browns Christmas. I like this movie for many reasons but the music is great and there is a certain amount of nostalgia for me with this short movie from growing up. As an adult I miss it on tv almost every year which sucks a little so I downloaded a copy of it and watch it a few times a year. I love Vince
- Santa Clause the movie (not that piece of crap with Tim Allen) This movie was huge when it came out and again has a nostalgic place in my heart since I saw it in the theater. After you watch even now it reminds you what Christmas is really about in a way(minus that business in the manger with that baby) . The special effects are straight up 80’s but the set designs are amazing to me even now.
- Rudolph the red nosed reindeer and the island of misfits. i watched this every damn year and get pissed when I miss it. This is cheesy and old and not exciting compared to what’s out now but its pure and makes me remember the good ol days when the world didn’t suck so much and clay mation blew my mind.
- Love actually (2003). Yes its a pseudo romance but don’t judge me until you have seen this assuming you do or haven’t. The movie has some heavy hitters in it(Liam neeson, Hugh grant, keira knightley, Alan Rickman ) and is really well written. It all takes place in the weeks leading up to and during Christmas time in England. It shows a group of people with different lives and careers but how they are all interconnected in certain ways and play a role in each other’s lives and also how the Christmas holidays affect their lives. You can’t over think a movie like this and just take it for what it is. I’ll put in 2 clips for this
- National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. This is one of those movies you either love or hate and is loved really only by a certain generation it seems. I think this is my 61 years old fathers favorite Christmas movie ever since i will see him watch it in July if its on TV. It’s another throw back to old comedic movies that don’t take themselves too seriously and are just fun. It is one of my favorites of and another movie I will watch year round.
- The Grinch who stole Christmas I hope I don’t need to explain this movie since it’s a Dr sues favorite.
- The Holiday (2006)…I found this movie a few months ago and love it. This is newer and has Cameron Diaz, Jack Black, Kate Winslet and Jude Law. It’s about two women who get screwed over by guys and switch homes and lives in some ways for the Christmas holidays. The title makes me smile because of its double meaning and if you are from the UK you will understand what I mean. It’s one of those movies that isn’t meant to be a Christmas movie but it sort of worked out that way. I wouldnt say its a romcom though…maybe a romdram…is that even real?
- White Christmas (1954) This is an old musical starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosmarry Clooney and Vera Ellen. Its really quite fanatastic if you are into old movies like this. The storyline takes some explaining so just check out the clip and find it on Netflix or something you wont regret the old fashioned film.
- Die Hard – yea I’m sure I will get some shit for this but this is one of my favorite movies of all time and literally takes place at Christmas, has Christmas stuff and Christmas music so I consider this a Christmas movie….just not one you show the kids until they older.
- Home Alone 1 or 2– I prefer 2 but my 7 year old niece assures me the first one is the best. That scene in #2 (lost in New York) when Kevin and his mom find each other at Rockefeller center on Christmas Eve does in fact bring a tear or two too my eye…I actually write year round to the sound track for these 2 movies…John Williams is great. The scene when Kevin is on top of the world trade center is a little weird to see though.
These movies are good but just not enough to make the top 10
It’s a wonderful life– it’s a great movie don’t get me wrong, and Jimmy Stuart is great but the cheese is just horrible sometimes. Maybe it is due to the fact I saw this movie too much growing up.
A Christmas Story– Words cannot describe how much I hate this movie. It may have something to do with TBS playing 24 hours a day or two or that my father is perfectly content to watch it over and over and over and over again…but bitching about the movie the whole time. Some people did this movie however….ralphie
Emmit the Otters jug band Christmas….this older than me but i remember seeing it on TV growing up and loved it and always have. . Its so old school is crazy but still fun to watch and no CG or animation and is almost impossible to find clips of. clips of this are really really hard to find and the one i had used before was deleted. This is old school Jim Henson if you can find it check it out.
Elf – I watched this for the very 1st time a few weeks back and thought it was good enough to add to this years list